Sunday, November 18, 2018

Ubuntu 17.04, readonly FS and failure after restart...

I have AUSUS B451J (older ver of B451JA).

I was working with my project and suddenly IntelliJ Idead reported problems with saving workspace. Quick check of free space left - 4GB, so it was not the cause but dmesg reported read-only filesystem. WTF?
I restarted system and this appeared:

Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e
MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list
Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e


with initramfs in Busybox. I write all those details because it might help others to find this post.

It was a bit hard to check drive as I have encrypted LUKS partition so my old distros hanging around on old laptops couldn't decrypt it. I've used old laptop to prepare USB with Ubuntu 18.04.

I don't know which of my compulsive actions fixed it but I have
  • booted from live CD (actually live USB ;) of Ubuntu 18.04)
  • fsck'ed hdd - it found dozens of problems
  • removed (commented out!) UEFI mount point from /etc/fstab: #UUID=6B6A-68B7 /boot/efi
  • restored defaults in BIOS

After rebooting it worked again. I don't know how, why or when. I think it's time for new Ubuntu 18 or laptop.

Leave comment and twitt about this article if you found it helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment